Raleigh Uninsured / Underinsured Motorists Lawyer
A serious car accident is a terrifying situation that can quickly become more stressful if the at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured. By law, drivers in Raleigh must carry liability auto insurance, but that does not stop people from driving without it.
We strongly encourage you to contact Nagle & Associates, P.A. if you have been severely injured in a car accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist. Our Raleigh uninsured/underinsured motorists lawyer will evaluate your case and discuss your legal options in a free consultation.
Why Choose Us?
- Our Raleigh personal injury attorneys have decades of experience and have recovered over $400 million for injured clients in North Carolina.
- We are dedicated to the wellbeing of our clients and ensure high-quality representation at a reasonable contingency fee.
- We have a deep understanding of the medical evidence needed to obtain maximum compensation in your claim and have worked with the best doctors in the state.
Why You Need an Attorney If You Are Injured by an Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist
Hiring experienced legal representation if you are severely injured by an uninsured or underinsured motorist is crucial. Even if your situation seems hopeless, an experienced car accident lawyer has the resources to obtain fair compensation to cover your losses completely. Although you may be dealing with your own insurance company, it is still common for them to substantially undervalue valid claims.
The insurance adjuster may attempt to minimize your injuries or claim you were fully or partially responsible for your accident. Under North Carolina’s contributory negligence law, if you are found partially at fault for a car accident, you cannot recover compensation. The sooner an attorney is involved, the better, so your rights are protected, and you are given the best chance at recovering full and fair payment.
Options for Compensation After an Accident with an Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist
Your options for compensation after an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist will likely depend on your auto insurance coverage. North Carolina North Carolina law requires all car insurance policies to include uninsured motorist coverage, but underinsured coverage is not required.
Therefore, you can collect uninsured motorist benefits under your own policy, but underinsured motorist benefits will depend on your coverage. This is how you will potentially be protected:
- Uninsured motorist coverage (UM): Another driver is at fault and does not have liability insurance. Your insurer will help pay for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, and suffering, and property damage, up to your policy’s limits.
- Underinsured motorist coverage (UIM): The at-fault driver’s insurance policy limits are not substantial enough to cover your losses from the accident. Your insurer will help pay for your expenses that go above and beyond what the at-fault driver’s policy covers.
Minimum UM/UIM limits in North Carolina are equal to the minimum liability requirements, which are $30,000 per injured person in an accident, $60,000 per accident for personal injury, and $25,000 for property damage.
If you get into an accident with a driver who doesn’t have adequate coverage and you don’t have UIM coverage, you can sue the at-fault driver for any personal assets.
Can You “Stack” Insurance Coverage in Raleigh?
Simply put, yes, you can “stack” insurance coverage in Raleigh. Being able to stack policies means that you can file claims against all underinsured or uninsured motorist policies that you or another family member in the same household have. Stacking is an option even if the policies cover vehicles that were not involved in the accident.
Speak to a Raleigh Car Accident Lawyer Who Cares
If you have been involved in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, contact our Raleigh car accident lawyers. We will help you fight for the compensation you deserve. To schedule a free consultation, call (919) 433-0035, or fill out our online contact form.