Wake County Truck Accident
Because of the massive size, weight, and volume of commercial trucks, trucking accidents are often fatal. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, 317,000 large trucks were involved in traffic accidents in the U.S. during 2012, and 3,921 people were killed.
The trucking industry is highly regulated and statistics show that truck drivers are generally much more careful on the road than a typical driver is, yet fatalities in crashes involving large trucks increased by four percent from 3,781 in 2011 to 3,921 in 2012.
Individuals who survive a serious truck accident may be able to obtain compensation for various types of injuries, including:
- Back and neck injuries.
- Traumatic brain injuries.
Families who have lost a loved one in a truck accident may also be able to file a wrongful death claim against the truck driver or trucking company.Defensive Driving Techniques
The operators of passenger cars and other smaller vehicles should practice safe driving techniques, make sure their vehicles are well maintained, and obey the rules of the road, particularly when sharing the road with commercial trucks. Some useful defensive driving techniques include:
- Don’t drive in a trucker’s blind spots.
- Avoid passing a truck on the right when the truck is turning right.
- Pay close attention to a truck’s turn signals.
- Employ the appropriate passing procedures, and don’t linger alongside a truck when passing.
- Avoid following too closely and tailgating a commercial truck.
- Don’t cut a truck off.
- Never underestimate the size and speed of an approaching tractor-trailer.
Did you sustain serious injuries in an accident with a truck in Wake County, North Carolina? For skilled and aggressive legal representation, contact Nagle & Associates, P.A. online or call (800) 411-1583 to schedule your free initial consultation with an experienced attorney today.