Here are some startling statistics and facts on car accidents and other injuries.
1) There are approximately 6 million car accidents in the U.S. each year.
2) 3 million people are injured every year in car accidents on U.S. roads.
3) Bicyclists accounted for 2.2% of all traffic deaths in 2016.
4) In 2016, bicyclist deaths occurred most often between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. (20%) and in urban areas (71%).
5) 840 bicyclists were killed in motor vehicle accidents in 2016.
6) The National Safety Council estimated automotive fatalities topped 40,000 for the second consecutive year in 2017.
7) The United States is one of the busiest countries in terms of road traffic with about 218 million drivers holding a valid driving license.
8) In 2015, 7.6% of all nonfatal crashes on U.S. roads involved a large truck or bus.
9) The three most common causes of car accidents in the U.S. are distracted driving, drunk driving, and speeding.