Auto Accident FAQ
Answers Provided by a North Carolina Auto Accident Lawyer
Attorney Carl Nagle established Nagle & Associates, P.A. as a firm dedicated to guiding injured auto accident victims and their families through each step of the personal injury claim process. Focused on setting clients at ease by personally and immediately addressing any questions and concerns clients have, Attorney Nagle and his team of North Carolina auto accident attorneys always ensure that clients are kept well informed. In order to provide the residents of North Carolina who are just beginning to learn about their rights as victims with a solid foundation of the facts, the firm's legal team has answered some of the most frequently asked questions they receive from injured victims and their loved ones.
Can my claim for car / property damage be safely resolved in the days following the accident without infringing on my rights as a victim and limiting my personal injury claim?
Typically, yes. Claims for property damage are subject to very few defenses, and responsible insurance adjusters have few options to avoid payment. Property claims are usually paid fairly and promptly. Injured victims who also happen to own the vehicle should avoid any and all discussion about the nature and extent of their injuries or related medical care before consulting an experienced attorney. Also, any conversations concerning accident facts should take place only after careful discussion with independent counsel; however, it is typically safe to resolve property damage claims as soon as possible after the accident occurs.
What actions should I take to establish my claim and preserve my case and my rights after a collision?
While this is not a complete list, these are the essential steps and concerns any victim should consider after suffering an injury as a result of another party's negligence or wrongdoing:
- Identify all witnesses to the incident with reliable names, addresses and contact numbers.
- Secure detailed photos of property damage to all vehicles involved and of the accident scene to show road configuration, visual obstructions, and the condition of the roadway.
- Secure detailed photos of all visible injuries and bruising. Where wound care is progressive, secure photos of progressive care to document the healing process for bruising and surface wounds, and to show progressive healing of scarring.
- Seek medical attention immediately and voice all complaints to the attending physician to ensure that all medical complications are documented and all injuries are evaluated and treated as early as possible.
- Keep all medical appointments. This helps ensure the speediest, most thorough recovery from your injuries. Follow your doctors' advice and directives to show your commitment to health and recovery.
- Talk with several attorneys in order to locate the advocate who you feel will best present your story and who will most zealously fight for full and fair payment on all of your claims.
- Avoid discussions about your injuries or the accident facts with insurance adjusters until you have cleared all liability issues with an attorney.
- Begin a diary / daily log to help preserve your memories of the incident that resulted in your injuries. Record the day-to-day effects and losses that you experience during recovery. Begin your log with an address, "Dear Attorney," to protect your privacy through the Attorney-Client Communications Privilege.
- Save all accident-related documentation in one convenient, easy-to-access location. Important items include medical invoices, physicians' after-care instructions, pharmacy receipts, pay stubs and wage loss proofs, police reports, vehicle damage appraisals, and any other documentation relating to your accident and injuries.
Does an attorney really get more money from insurance companies?
Yes. The Insurance Research Institute conducted an independent study comparing accident cases involving attorneys and un-represented victims and found that insurance companies paid approximately three-and-a-half times more when the victim's case is prepared and presented by an accident attorney. Remember, to the extent that Nagle & Associates add value to your case, they pay their own legal fees. In most cases, the client with an accident attorney ends up with more money in hand even after the lawyer is paid than a person without representation.
How soon should I hire an accident attorney?
Immediately. Insurance companies begin working immediately to build defenses to your claim. Furthermore, helpful evidence can be lost with time, and you shouldn't expect the adjuster to do anything to help you prove your claim. Once an attorney is involved, the adjuster can't contact you directly. They must contact you only through your lawyer. At Nagle & Associates, the legal team acts immediately to secure scene and vehicle photos, begin building your medical file, and handle all aspects involved in building your case for success. Don't cooperate with the adjuster who is working only for the other side. Act quickly to find a North Carolina auto accident attorney you can trust to enforce your rights, and leave your worries there.
Do I pay anything up front for legal services?
No. At Nagle & Associates, attorney fees are paid only after a settlement or verdict is secured. Simple private settlements are most common, and the firm's percentage fee structure leaves clients with no fee unless and until they win your case. In addition, the firm is motivated to zealously push your claims and to highlight all helpful evidence to promote a top-dollar case payout.
More questions? Contact Nagle & Associates today!
By answering these common questions, the firm's legal team hopes to educate victims in need about their rights and about the importance of retaining legal representation. As all cases are unique, Nagle & Associates addresses clients' concerns on an individual, personalized basis. Schedule a free case evaluation to find answers that relate specifically to your situation and needs, or feel free to reach out directly to the firm. Should you eventually choose to work with Attorney Nagle and his legal team, you can be sure that your needs and questions will always be personally and immediately addressed as they arise. Enlist the help of a proven legal team that has recovered millions of dollars in compensation on behalf of local injured residents and families. Contact a North Carolina auto accident lawyer from the firm today.